Sunday Morning Coffee #14

This beautiful cup and saucer  come from paper artist, Jennifer Collier, who lives in the UK, and who is our Artist of the Week this time. More about Jennifer shortly.

First, I have something very important to talk to you about . . .

Unless you have been completely cut off from the news lately, you have heard the big to-do about Google’s change in their privacy policy. You may or may not have understood what it all means, but there is something you really should be aware of.

If you have a Google membership – i.e. if you have a gmail account, use Google Reader, or certain blogging platforms and other Google services – EVERY Google search you have ever made is recorded in something called your Search History. The Search History has been there for awhile, but it has not been included in the database of other information Google keeps about you, and makes available to their own and other’s programs at their discretion.  Now, it will be. Stop and think for a moment about how much somebody would know about you from your Google searches.

The short answer to that is “too much”. The long answer is that if you peruse your search history yourself, you will find out stuff about you that you didn’t even know!! So, here is how to empty your Search History and prevent any history recording of your searches in the future. Go to:

SIgn-in to your Google account.

Click the button to remove all your Web History. You can look around before you do that if you want to be amazed and disgruntled a bit.

After your history is emptied, click the button to Pause your web history.

That’s all there is to it. Now, you will be the only one who knows what you choose to search for. WHEW!

HOWEVER, every YouTube video you ever watched is also recorded if you have a You Tube account. You can empty and pause that history as well in only a few more steps, which are very well-explained here on Life-Hacker.com:

Hide Your You Tube History

I have been touting Kodak printers since I first got one, I still love them, and would not want to return to any other brand.

The reasons have remained the same: Ink that costs 1/3 as much as others, great photo print quality, great customer service, and a removable, replaceable printhead (free if you send the worn out one back in.)

When I read about the Kodak bankruptcy, I was saddened that Kodak would no longer be a photography super-power, but I was also very worried about the future of my love affair with the Kodak all-in-one printers. Would I get unceremoniously dumped?

So, it is with great relief that I tell you that not only is Kodak not dumping their printers, they are making printing the number one priority for the company. Mostly because commercial printing supplies float a large part of their financial boat, but they have updated their desktop printers as well, with the new Hero line.

I needed an extra printer, so I bought the Hero 3.1 at Staples, and I love it.

One very cool improvement is that the paper feed now runs on a straight track. The paper tray is now on top and sits almost vertical, and the straight pass through means the paper does not have to wind around a set of rollers. This avoids a lot of paper jams with heavier stocks like photo paper.

And another great addition is enhanced wireless capability. Since the second generation, Kodak AIOs have been wireless (and the set-up is instant and easy – on a Mac anyway), but now there is the ability to print wirelessly from your mobile device – by emailing the printer! I haven’t tried that set-up yet, but I will be as soon as I can find a spare minute or two lying around.

I was in a hurry, of course, and so I bought my Hero 3.1 from Staples, and I learned a good thing. I first checked availability for my local store on Staples.com. There, I found the printer for $99 and  the information that Staples stores will price match with “certain” websites. And Amazon was on that list! At that time, the printer was $89 on Amazon, so I printed off the proof, took it to my Staples store, and they matched the price! I was happy.

Artist of the Week

I love Jennifer Collier’s work, I love her elegant website, her painstaking attention to detail, and I love her description of her “practice”:

“My practice focuses on creating work from paper; by bonding, waxing, trapping and stitching

I produce unusual paper ‘fabrics’, which are used to explore the ‘remaking’ of household objects.

The papers are treated as if cloth, with the main technique employed being stitch; a contemporary twist on traditional textiles.

The papers themselves serve as both the inspiration and the media for my work, with the narrative of the books and papers suggesting the forms.”

The Galleries on Jennifer’s site work with a slider which moves you through viewing the pieces. You will thoroughly enjoy your visit (check out the Garments Gallery – I love the gloves).

Jennifer Collier

Outside my Door . . .

If you follow me on Twitter (@jessicawesolek), you have seen this. I love making art on my iPad, so I set myself a challenge – to find something that is worth drawing on any particular day, and draw it. (I did not challenge myself to do this every day, of course).

But, most days, between my online business, my gallery business, and my Amazon addiction, I trip over something like this pile when I try to go out my front door. I never see it as overly attractive, so  I thought if I paid more attention to it – by drawing it as a pretty thing – I could see its potential beauty. And it worked – I grew found of these  battered boxes.

Sealed packages are a generally happy icon in our culture – the surprise element and all. We don’t pay much attention to them before we rip them to shreds, so I thought they deserved at least a moment of glory.

I hope you all have a splendid Sunday.

15 thoughts on “Sunday Morning Coffee #14

1. March 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

THANKS!! I know Google and so many others have WAY too much info on us. And, thanks for the printer recommendation-I will seek it out since the “L” feed (instead of “C” or “S” feeds) systems are great for printing on alternate kinds of paper (such as acrylic skins). Cheaper than having to rely on an Epsom!

2. March 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm

thanks for the info about cleaning out web history. Will try it later.
    Lovely work by Jennifer, will check that out as well. So much to see and so little time.
    Cute boxes. I love getting my packages, although mine aren’t brown paper wrapped. Usually the white Postal boxes…
    Have a great day

3. Claire Ramsey
    March 4, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thank you for the info about Kodak!

Claire

4. mo
    March 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

jessica, thanks so much for all the helpful info on how to clean up our settings. invaluable! and thanks for the link to Jennifer’s site … i’m sharing it far and wide 😉

5. Colleen
    March 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

thank you sooooo much for the info on Google and Yahoo! I cleared my history and paused them both! Yeah!
    And thanks for the info on the Hero. I have a Kodak and the only problem I ever have is getting the photo paper through without jamming. It’s really an excellent workhorse printer! So now I need the Hero. And then I can stop swearing!

6. March 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Jessica- thanks for the info on Google and YouTube. I cleared my history a while back when the alert came out but I did NOT know about YouTube! I will be going in there as so as I can and take care of that also.

My Kodak was totally worn out but I loved it- only it did not have a good scanner like Epson. I decided on the HP color laser so I don’t have to go to the copy place to get toner copies and the HP is wonderful. The toner goes forever! and my Epson is great as always- I use it for more of my PERFECT prints and photos so I don’t have to pay constantly for ink. Nice to know about the Kodak, tho.

7. March 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Jessica – thank you so much for this information. All valuable gems this week – especially the info on Google privacy.

8. Jeanne
    March 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Great post! I immediately deleted my history on both sites, as I did not want others to discover my predilection for chocolate-covered anything…. 😀 I am forwarding this information to all my friends!

I was also very sad to see that Kodak declared bankruptcy, so I was heartened to read that they will continue making printers. I do not NEED another printer (I bought a 6150 after reading about your praise of the Kodak printers), but I almost want to buy another just to support Kodak!

And I love Jennifer’s art work. I have long had a love affair with paper, so I get excited when I see artists using it in such unique and creative manner. Thanks!

9. Harriet Clark
    March 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Thank you so much, Jessica!! You have certainly done your good deeds for the day with the excellent privacy-saving info.

And I hope it’s ok, but I’ve pinned Jennifer’s two pieces of artwork on my Pinterest “Eye Catchers” board. If it’s not ok, let me know and i’ll remove them.

Kudos to you for giving those packages their moment in the spotlight! No telling what treasures lie within!

10. Shelley
    March 5, 2012 at 7:26 am

Great Sunday post as always!

I appreciate the Google info, but I am confused. When I sign in and go to the History link, all I see is an option that says Turn Web History On. Does that mean that it has been disabled all along and I don’t have to do anything? I can’t seem to find the button to remove my web history or the pause button you mentioned. I do want to make sure that my privacy is secure!

Good news on the Kodak printers…I don’t have one yet, but when I need a new printer, I will go with one that you recommend. I figure anything that passes the “Jessica test” is good enough for me!

11. March 5, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hi Shelley,
    It must mean you stopped your web history some time ago. If it is asking to turn it on, it must be off. Does anybody else use your gmail account? Maybe they did it.

When I go in now, it says my History is paused, and there is a Resume button (Not!),

So, I truly don’t know what is going on with the page you get. ARe you going to the history link first, and then signing in? Maybe that’s the difference?

12. Barbara D
    March 5, 2012 at 7:52 am

Thanks so much for the info Jessica. You simplify things so much.

13. Sandie R
    March 5, 2012 at 11:08 am

I get the same information that Shelley gets and I went to the history link first and then signed in so I’m assuming that my history is turned off. Just to be sure I clicked the No Thank you button while there.

14. Shelley
    March 5, 2012 at 3:44 pm

No one else uses my Google account, and I never recall even knowing about web history to disable it. However the only button I see is to Turn It On (that’s a live button). The No Thanks button is not live, which I take to mean that it’s not a choice as it apparently has already been used. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something. I guess if Sandie is seeing the same thing, then maybe we just are lucky and have no Web history to delete. Why do I still feel a lurking sense of unease?

I recently saw a quote on Facebook and I think it applies to Google and the Internet too:

“Facebook (substitute Google) is the new Hotel California. You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave.”

15. Lani
    March 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Jessica, Thank you dear lady for this Sunday Morn Coffee post—great info and I am amazed at yur ipad drawing. I hope to be signing up soon for that IPad studio class.
    Hugs, Lani